Skip to content

Milk Paint Virgin

January 25, 2013

20130125-204908.jpg

Needless to say, powdered paint mix is a bit overwhelming to work with. I chose Miss Mustard Seed’s Tricycle Red which has a lot of pigment. There’s nothing like jumping off a cliff your first time out of the gate! I knew just as soon as I started to mix it up in a red Solo cup that it was going to be difficult to blend. I had already solicited advice from Mandy at Alter’d. Her advice was not to store the paint overnight in a fridge with your food because it will make everything taste like a metal can. I also watched the MMS tutorials. I had considered using a blender, but since I did not receive that Vitamix blender from Santa like I had requested, I passed. I finally came to the conclusion that I should put the mix in a resealable container so I could shake it up.
20130125-211451.jpg

I chose an ugly country hunter green piece straight from the eighties that I picked up at a thrift store for cheap several years ago and never got around to painting it. It also had a smaller surface area for painting with milk paint for a first time out. If I were to dot his again as a virgin, I’d paint a flat surface as opposed to a vertical and rounded surface because the paint was quit watery and runny. I did mix in the bonding agent as directed as well because I didn’t want this first piece to be particularly “chippy.” This piece did require two coats since the paint was so thin. I was very apprehensive at first because the color was quit tribal!20130125-211818.jpg

After it dried (within an hour), I skipped out in the sanding, then rubbed it down with A Martha Stewart Antiquing Glaze by using a sponge. Instant hit!

20130125-204828.jpg
Next, on to the top… It had grooves routered into the top single piece to make it appear to be wood planks. I never liked these grooves because they collected dust bunnies, glitter, and other small particles children and pets seem to dispose of. I got this instant urge to have Prince Charming pick up some wood putty as he was heading out the door. I wasn’t picky, I just requested that it be stainable. Bad idea!20130125-211651.jpg

My 2 hour project turned into a two day project because the putty would not dry! I don’t know if I just used the wrong filler or if I just used too much. I may have to go back and redo the top and I am uncertain about the results anyway. What do you think?
Fast forward several days…
After letting the top dry, I mixed some MMS Ironstone and applied 2-3 coats. After it dried, I sanded it down, then used the same Martha Stewart antiquing glaze to give the striated look on top. Paying particular attention to the filled grooves, I used extra glazing there. I opted not to polyurethane the piece because I want to see how it wears over time. I did use one light coat of Minewax Paste Finishing Wax which I gently buffed on by hand with and old t-shirt. From the photos, you can see that the top has already gotten a few scratches from the boys in this establishment. Oh we’ll character!
The boring wooden knobs were not painted with MMS milk paint, but rather covered with glaze to add sheen. These will hold me over until I find the right knobs for the job.

This piece remains in my breakfast area of the kitchen and houses some of the kids’ art supplies, paperwork for filing, and a display space (on the wall) for artwork and holiday decor. The handy drawer holds the kids’ tiny trinkets.

20130125-205034.jpg Ironstone & MS Glazed top

20130125-205054.jpg newly scratched surface

20130125-205013.jpg one last look

Advertisements

From → furniture redo

Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: